Monday, August 16, 2010

St. George & Angel's Landing 7/2010

In July, Darrin & I took a week-long trip. In a way, we were making up for the honeymoon we never got because I had to get back to school right after we were married. The first stop on our trip was St. George. My sister, Mindy, and her husband, Jesse, live there so we got to spend some time with them and their little boy, Lincoln.

On a Saturday, we drove into Zion's National Park with Mindy & Jesse. We decided to do Angel's Landing, a famous hike in Zions. It was a really hot day, but we still made it. On Angel's Landing there are some cliffs that drop off so at parts they have chains that you can hold on to.

Here is a picture from the top, you can see how small everything looks down below.


Here we are at the top-We made it! :) Jesse, Mindy, Darrin, & Me


We ate a snack at the top to keep us going so that we could stop in some shade on the way down to eat our lunch. I thought it was funny that Darrin chose a Butterfinger as his snack before lunch.



Here is Mindy, eating a little bit more nutritious snack.

Darrin and I at the top. It was so pretty up there!



After St. George, we headed to Los Angeles, where my brother and his wife and three kids live. We did a lot of driving on this trip and going through the Mojave Desert was hot and bright. Darrin needed a little shade for his eyes and so I let him borrow my flowery sunglasses.



This last one might only interest those who have read Fablehaven. There is a prison in the series called "Zzyzx" and I was happy to find another place named the same thing going through the desert. No wonder he named it that...

More to come on our trip: Los Angeles & San Diego

4 comments:

Amy said...

sounds like a great getaway--I'm excited to see more about it! When Dustin and I hiked Angel's Landing, I was too scared to go past the part where the chains start...so I stayed and watched him go the rest of the way. Way to go you guys!

Alyssa/Jo said...

You are giving me all sorts of great places to visit! Without you I wouldn't know where to go and what to see in Utah. Shane and I have yet to do any hiking or exploring in the wonderful world of southern Utah.

Shane broke down at Zzyzx road before!! HAHA! I love that name!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Zzyzx? How do you pronounce that? lol!

Love the new look to your blog.
~ingrid

Laura said...

I remember seeing Zzyzx but I didn't make the connection to the book; fun!
I'm glad you had fun on the trip! Can't wait to see more pictures!