Friday, June 15, 2012

Portland:First Impressions

We got to Portland for Darrin's internship on Wednesday afternoon.  We stayed the night with my grandma and had a good time catching up.  Grandma had a good time meeting Darrin and Logan.  She loved being entertained by Logan and laughing at his silly side.

I grew up going to Portland about once a year to visit family, but this time is completely different. I want to write down my first impressions so I don't forget them.

First, the positives:
1. Love our apartment. It's a one-bedroom but the closet is big enough for Logan's crib and our clothes! It's clean and feels more like home than I anticipated.
2. It's great to see family. It has been a while since I last saw them.
3. The yummy pizza smell outside our apartment.  We live in a building with a pizza place.  We can't smell it inside, but when we step outside--yum!
4. Traffic isn't as bad as I thought it might be.
5. I feel proud of the fact that I've been able to find my way around a big city :)
6. It feels like an adventure, and I'm excited for it!

Now the negatives:
1. No plastic bags at Fred Meyer. Really? I care about the environment as much as the next person, but I use those plastic bags as garbage bags.  Paper bags are hard to carry groceries in with a baby, too.
2. The toothless lady who was talking to herself right outside our apartment. It was a little frightening, but maybe she's nice?
3. The neighborhood feels a little sketchy. Darrin said no going outside after dark for me. :S
4. The cigarette smoke. Don't people know those things are bad for them?!
5. Just a little homesick being around an unfamiliar place.

I have a bunch to catch up on, so I'll be posting soon and hopefully more often!

5 comments:

MikeandKatie said...

You are guys staying in downtown? Mike and I are going out there for the month of July. If you are still out there, I would love to get together.

Laura said...

Love the update! I'm glad you are finding many things to enjoy about Portland! It is an adventure!!! Can you email your address to me please?
Much love!!!

Alyssa/Jo said...

I bet that lady talking to herself outside your door is pretty nice ;) You two crack me up! You are going to have an awesome time up there. It's such a fun city!

Amy said...

Sounds pretty good so far. I hate cigarette smoke...that is my number one complaint for places outside of Utah....and no plastic bags stink! We also use them as garbage bags. I'm excited to hear more about your adventures there!

Anonymous said...

Ah Rachel, it's so nice to hear you've made it to the West Coast safely. Moving to a city is hard (cig smoke is the worst!), but can also be rewarding - cities tend to have good food. Be friendly, but not too friendly to people talking to themselves...I learned my lesson in San Francisco when I had a casual stalker for a while after a harmless conversation. You'll do fine though - it will be an adventure for sure!